Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

They're taking over

I don't know what the deal is, but lately it's been babies, babies everywhere around me. Three family members are currently pregnant and at least 3 friends are at the end of their pregnancies. Side note:

When did everyone decide that 'preggers,' and 'prego' are fun synonyms for 'pregnant?' I feel like 'preggers' is a kind of critter that you catch if you hike off the trail with your dog. "What's wrong with Sparky?" "Oh we had to take him to the vet because he caught some nasty preggers along the American River trails." And prego? Really? All I can think about there is pasta sauce, and meatballs, and parmesan cheese, and then I get hungry and am no longer interested in the story at hand. Now before this turns into a post about my sordid love affair with carbs, let's just call it what it is: pregnant. Thanks. The more you know.


Needless to say, I think I'm catching a bit of baby fever. They're everywhere! And so cute! They're so small & bald & chubby! No, not like George Costanza, babies have far less emotional baggage. And they're much cuter. Every now and then I turn to the hub and quietly say "I wanna baby." He smiles and nods and we proceed with our grocery shopping or whatever it is we're doing. Actually now that I think about it, my baby proclamations usually come out while we're at Target, passing through the baby clothes aisle. I'm easily influenced by leetle plaid shirts and tiny Easter dresses. But really, what female isn't?

In all reality, I know now's not the time. I'm rather enjoying the ridiculous amount of free time we have together. Sleeping in on the weekends and spur of the moment trips to San Francisco are delightful and I would definitely have a hard time trading them in right now. Not to mention that often alluded-to trip to Europe that we need to plan. (Perhaps 2012...?) I don't think we're done being a childless couple yet but the prospect of children feels far less scary than it once was. 

1 comment:

Jess Roy said...

I hear you girl. EVERYONE I know is pregnant. Well, except for you. And me. So there you go. I go in waves...super baby crazy vs. enjoying the freedom and planning another trip. It's nuts. Up here people get pregnant when they're barely 20, so compared to the local population - I'm already an old maid.