Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Photography: Uno

So to go along with the start of the new year, I thought I'd start some photography related posts. Since I'm basically a beginner, they might not all be totally groundbreaking but hey, I'm still learning.

Last spring I bought my first DSLR: the Canon T1i. I asked our wedding photographer (thanks Clark & Corona!) for "entry-level" recommendations, and being a Canon girl herself, she recommended the T1i and the XSi. I happened to pick the T1i mostly because of its HD video capability. It came with the standard 18-55 mm kit lens which is nothing to sneeze at but after playing with the camera for several weeks, I started looking for more of a portrait lens. After doing some research, I narrowed it down to 2 lenses: Canon's 50mm f1.8 and Canon's 50mm f1.4. Both give amazing depth of field but there's a major price difference between the 2. Since I'm such a newbie with not a ton of disposable income (I dropped a fair chunk of it on the camera, after all!) I opted for the less expensive f1.8. Both lenses are great for photos with a nice, fuzzy background and a beautifully focused subject.

And if a novice like me can take photos like these, you know this lens has to be good:




(These are all "SOOC," or straight-out-of-camera shots 
with no editing done in post, so they may not be perfect, but I love them anyway.)

No comments: